About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Gluttony: A Thanksgiving Reading List



Open the top button on your trousers and, if you can stomach it, digest some of these passages on greedy consumption across the literary spectrum. Adventures in eating from In Cold Blood to Roald Dahl's Matilda.


In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
The travelers stopped for dinner at a restaurant in Great Bend. Perry, down to his last fifteen dollars, was ready to settle for root beer and a sandwich, but Dick said no, they needed a solid ‘tuck-in,’ and never mind the cost, the tab was his. They ordered two steaks medium rare, baked potatoes, French fries, fried onions, succotash, side dishes of macaroni and hominy, salad with Thousand Island dressing, cinnamon rolls, apple pie and ice cream, and coffee. To top it off, they visited a drugstore and selected cigars; in the same drugstore, they also bought two thick rolls of adhesive tape.


More: Literary Hub

No comments: