About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Art in "The Goldfinch"

Pinterest board of artworks mentioned in Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch."



"It's there in the light-rinsed atmosphere, the brush strokes he permits us to see, up close, for exactly what they are -- hand worked flashes of pigment, the very passage of the bristles visible -- and then, at a distance, the miracle, or the joke as Horst called it, although really it's both, the slide of transubstantiation where paint is paint and yet also feather and bone." p.766

Christ in the Storm on the Lake of Galilee, Rembrandt, 1633, p.741. This is the painting that Theo hopes has been recovered ("One was a Rembrandt." "Not a seascape?" "No -- people in a dark room."). Stolen in 1990, still missing; one of the most famous and valuable missing artworks in the world.

No comments: